In Dota 2 there are many complexities and nuances that you need to know. Pros can easily decide who to pit against their opponents. But for a beginner, this is far from a well-studied book. A good hero for a beginner should be easy to learn and without complex skills. So we have compiled a list of the 10 best Dota 2 heroes for new players.
Crystal Maiden is a good choice for any beginner. This is a universal hero. Her freeze skills are useful for slowing down or stunning enemies while, for example, waiting for allies to finish off the enemy.
Tsmka, as Crystal Maiden is also called, is a good partner for Ursa, Juggernaut and Lina. She counters Phantom Assassin, Templar Assassin and Slark well. But it won’t be the best choice for countering Clockwerk, Nyx Assassin and Bristleback.
Items worth getting: Tranquil Boots, Glimmer Cape, Force Staff, Blink Dagger, Black King Bar, Aghanim’s Scepter.
- Crystal Nova – Blasts the area of effect with a frosty wind that deals damage and slows down enemies.
- Frostbite – encases the enemy in ice, causing damage.
- Arcane Aura – increases mana recovery for all allies on the map.
- Freezing Field – Random ice explosions occur, slowing enemies and dealing high damage.
Omniknight can be a good support both offensively and defensively. His skills can heal allies, damage nearby enemies, and provide protection to friendly heroes.
Omniknight will be a good companion for characters such as Phantom Assassin, Huskar and Pudge. He will be able to counter Phantom Assassin, Specter and Lifestealer, but will be weak against Invoker, Enchantress and Oracle.
As for items, we recommend collecting the following set: Guardian Greaves, Lotus Orb, Blink Dagger, Refresher Orb, Assault Cuirass, Aghanim’s Scepter.
- Purification – Instantly heals an allied creature and damages enemies around it.
- Heavenly Grace – Applies a strong dispel on yourself and the selected ally.
- Hammer Of Purity – The hero’s hammer shoots flames at the target to slow them down and deal pure damage to them.
- Guardian Angel – Summons a guardian angel who completely protects allies from physical damage.
Ogre Magi is one of the simplest heroes in Dota. His entire set of skills is easy to explain. Fireblast stuns enemies, Ignite slows down, and Bloodlust buffs allies. And the Multicast ult allows you to use spells and items several times in a row. Ogre Magi is an intelligence hero, but he has a huge amount of health, which allows a beginner to iron out a number of mistakes.
It will be best paired with Sniper, Luna and Drow Ranger. It counters Io, Templar Assassin and Treant Protector well, but it is not recommended to counter it with Meepo, Chaos Knight and Lifestealer.
For items, a good option would be the following set: Arcane Boots, Force Staff, Aghanim Scepter, Aether Lens, Shiwas Guard, Octarine Core.
- Fireblast – hits the enemy with a wave of fire, causing damage and stunning.
- Ignite – Sets enemies on fire.
- Bloodlust – increases the attack and movement speed of allies.
- Multicast – allows the hero’s abilities and items to trigger several times during one use.
Dragon Knight has three active skills and one passive one, which increases survivability, enhances armor and increases regeneration speed. This is why Dragon Knight is one of the best Dota 2 heroes for a beginner.
Dragon Knight is best paired with Crystal Maiden, Vengeful Spirit or Omniknight. He will be a good counter to Clinkz, Templar Assassin and Bloodseeker, but bad to Outworld Devourer, Ancient Apparition and Timbersaw.
The best items to purchase are: Power Treads, Silver Edge, Assault Cuirass, Black King Bar, Daedalus, Heart of Tarrasque.
- Breathe Fire – Burns enemies and reduces damage from their attacks.
- Dragon Tail – the hero hits the enemy within the radius of his attack with his shield, stunning him and causing small damage.
- Dragon Blood – the dragon blood flowing in the hero’s veins increases his health recovery and armor.
- Elder Dragon Form – the hero turns into a powerful ancient dragon.
Sniper’s abilities allow you to destroy enemies without even being noticed. And some items for attack range, agility and speed can make even a beginner a dangerous enemy.
The Sniper pairs well in lane with Drow Ranger, Ogre Magi and Vengeful Spirit. Will cause a ton of trouble for Drow Ranger, Enigma, Silencer and will get a ton of trouble from Bounty Hunter, Clockwerk, Slark.
By subject, I recommend the selection: Power Treads, Hurricane Pike, Daedalus, Silver Edge, Mjollnir, Butterfly.
- Shrapnel – Uses a bolt of shrapnel to cover the target area in a rain of explosive pellets.
- Headshot – the hero shoots more accurately, each attack can cause additional damage, push back the victim and slow him down.
- Take Aim – increases attack range.
- Assassinate – the hero aims at the enemy and, after a short delay, fires a stunning shot.
Viper is another versatile hero that can serve a variety of roles depending on your play style. Poison damage and survivability make this character strong. He will also deal great damage when paired with an experienced melee hero.
Viper will be a good lane mate for Drow Ranger, Clockwerk and Faceless Void. He will be able to fight against Enchantress, Abbadon and Antimage, but the hero will have a very hard time against Lifestealer, Legion Commande and Outworld Devourer.
A good set of items would be: Power Treads, Hurricane Pike, Butterfly, Black King Bar, Monkey King Bar, Heart of Tarrasque.
- Poison Attack – adds poison to the hero’s normal attack, reduces the enemy’s movement speed and magic resistance, and deals periodic damage.
- Nethertoxin – the hero poisons a piece of land, opponents in the poisoned area receive periodic damage.
- Corrosive Skin – Enemies at close range take damage and their attacks are slowed down.
- Viper Strike – Slows down the attack speed and movement of the selected enemy, while dealing damage over time.
If you’re willing to fight head-on rather than support your teammates from afar, then Tidehunter is for you. This hero has one of the best ultimate abilities to start a massive fight and set your team up for some easy kills.
A great team for this tide hunter would be Naga Siren, Jakiro, Invoker. The hero is good against Batrider, Slardar and Windrunner, but should not be chosen against Disruptor, Outworld Devourer and Ursa.
A good item set might include Guardian Greaves, Pipe of Insight, Blink Dagger, Refresher Orb, Force Staff, Shivas Guard.
- Gush – Deals damage to enemies and reduces their movement speed and armor.
- Kraken Shell – thickens the hero’s skin, blocking some physical damage, and resets all negative effects.
- Anchor Smash – Deals damage to nearby enemies and reduces the damage from their attacks.
- Ravage – Damages and stuns all nearby enemies.
Bristleback is quite simple and has high survivability. His skills slow down enemies and reduce their armor. And the hero’s abilities are aimed at getting out of any massive skirmishes.
Bristleback will be good in lane with Crystal Maiden, Io and Drow Ranger. He easily counters characters like Chaos Knight, Luna, Broodmother, but is not particularly effective against Antimage, Legion Commander and Outworld Devourer.
The following set of items is relevant: Power Treads, Crimson Guard, Blade Mail, Heart of Tarrasque, Octarine Core, Assault Cuirass.
- Viscous Nasal Goo – Reduces enemy armor and movement speed.
- Quill Spray – Fires needles in all directions, damaging enemies around you.
- Bristleback – the hero takes less damage from attacks from the back and sides.
- Warpath – increases the character’s movement speed and damage.
The two-headed dragon Jakiro has one of the best lane control skill sets in the game. This is a hero with a lot of damage from the start, along with slow and stun. And the ability to use his spells from afar makes the hero viable in any situation.
The character will feel confident with Crystal Maiden, Сlockwerk and Ddisruptor. The hero works well against Wraith King, Faceless Void, Ursa or Sven. It is highly not recommended to use against Keeper of the Light, Enigma and Earthshaker.
The set of basic items looks like this: Ring of Basilius, Tranquil Boots, Eul’s Scepter of Divinity, Force Staff.
- Dual Breath – ice slows down enemies, and fire deals periodic damage to them.
- Ice Path – Creates a streak of ice that stuns enemies that touch it and deals damage to them.
- Liquid Fire – the hero fills his attack with liquid flame, setting the target and enemies around it on fire.
- Macropyre – the hero spews out a wide stream of liquid flame, which lasts for some time and deals damage to enemy creatures every second.
If you want to play a position that focuses more on accumulating gold and items, then Wraith King can be a good introduction to the carry role. The advantage of the character is that it is possible to return to life after one death.
Wraith King will be a good ally for Crystal Maiden, Vengeful Spirit, Lion, Rubick, Lina. The King will be able to deal with Lycan, Nature’s Prophet, Enchantress and Tinker. And it will be extremely difficult to counter Anti-Mage, Keeper of the Light, Invoker and Nyx Assassin.
We recommend the following set for the hero: Power Treads, Armlet of Mordiggian, Black King Bar, Blink Dagger, Blade Mail.
- Wraithfire Blast – the hero scorches the target with ghostly fire, stunning it and causing damage to it.
- Vampiric Spirit – the hero restores his health depending on the damage caused by attacks.
- Mortal Strike – the hero passively deals additional damage with his attack.
- Reincarnation – after death, the hero’s body is put back together, and he is resurrected on the battlefield.