The Steam Deck is a PC/gaming device that users can carry with them and play their favorite Steam games on the go. The convenience of playing anywhere without disturbing others at home when they want to watch something on TV, or while traveling to work or on vacation cannot be overstated.
However, the ability to play Steam Deck on a TV for multiplayer gaming or to ease the neck of a user staring at a screen all day is a deciding factor for some players. Luckily, there is a way for players to play their Steam games on a TV, such as a Nintendo Switch with a dock.
Playing Steam Deck on TV
There are two reliable ways to connect your Steam Deck to your TV and play them like you would on a Switch. A USB-C to HDMI adapter can also work, but it is less reliable:
- The Steam Deck Dock is the official docking station for the Steam Deck, but it’s also the most expensive.
- Unofficial Steam Dock – A quality Steam Dock from other brands, such as the Antank 6-in-1 Steam Deck Docking Station on Amazon, does the same job as the official Steam Deck Dock, but costs approx. half the price and has more USB connectors. Unofficial hardware is also supported by Valve.
The steps to connect an official or unofficial Steam Docking Station to your TV are the same and are described below:
- HDMI 2.0 cable.
- Compatible 45W USB-C Charger – The Nintendo Switch AC Charger will work.
- Steam Dock – A reliable choice is the Antank 6-in-1 Dock.
Steam Deck Connection
- Place the Steam Deck in the dock and connect the USB-C power cable to the top of the Steam Deck.
- Plug in your 45W USB charger and connect it to the USB-C connector on the back of the dock.
- Connect an HDMI cable to your TV and an available HDMI port on the Steam Dock.
- Turn on the TV.
- Power on the Steam Dock.
- Switching it to desktop mode is the most reliable way to ensure compatibility. Users will only need to do this once.
- The Steam Deck screen will be black for a few seconds until it appears on the TV screen.
- The Steam Deck screen can display various options, such as mirroring or the TV as the only device to display the game. Select play games anddesktop via one display.
- The Steam Deck can now play games and work in desktop mode via the Steam Deck, and it will switch automatically every time it is connected to the USB-C port.
That’s all users need to know about bringing Steam Deck games to their TV screen. The docking station will also keep the device charged, so players don’t have to worry about losing power while gaming.